HANSEL & GRETEL IS TOURING!
Hansel & Gretel – A Fearless Dance Adventure!
The classic fairy tale Hansel & Gretel gets a dance makeover, Uchenna style!
This contemporary retelling of the classic fairy tale finds our two young heroes lost in London, overwhelmed by the sights, sounds and smells. Together the brave duo must outwit the adults to find their way back to their family in a show where kids are number one!
Vicki Igbokwe, choreographer and founder of Uchenna Dance (The Head Wrap Diaries, Our Mighty Groove), puts her unique twist on this well-known tale, weaving New York club styles of House, Waacking and Vogue, with African and Contemporary dance, in a show that will delight the whole family.
Expect to groove in your seat as you are transported to a world far from yours with some surprising similarities.
With an exciting original musical score by Ghanaian composer Kweku Aacht, the production is written by Gbolahan Obisesan, set and costume design by Lucy Sierra, lighting design by James Mackenzie and assistant choreography by Ingrid Mackinnon.
Introducing our unbelievable cast both onstage and in the soundtrack!
Hansel & Gretel Allstars, a playlist by composer & sound designer Kweku Aacht on Spotify.
Featuring Jo’ Wayne, Yung Pabi, Robin Huws, and others.
SEE BELOW TO
BOOK tickets for your nearest venue
DOWNLOAD the Tour & Marketing Pack
DOWNLOAD the Learning & Participation Pack
PURCHASE the HANSEL & GRETEL EXCLUSIVE album
And stay up to date with us
JOIN the conversation on social media using #hanselandgretel #dancemakeover #uchennastyle
BOOK THE SHOW/WORKSHOP
Would you like to book the show for your venue or event?
1) Download the Tour & Marketing Pack
2) Get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with HANSEL & GRETEL POTENTIAL BOOKING in the subject title.
3) We will be in touch to discuss your needs.
HANSEL & GRETEL
Runtime: 55 mins
Suitability: Family Show (for ages 5+)
Presented by Uchenna Dance & The Place. Co-commissioned by The Place, DanceEast, Rural Touring Dance Initiative and Strike a Light. Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England.
Director and Choreographer: Vicki Igbokwe
Writer: Gbolahan Obesisan
Composer & Sound Designer: Kweku Aacht
Set & Costume Design: Lucy Sierra
Lighting Designer: James Mackenzie
Rehearsal Director & Assistant Choreographer: Ingrid Mackinnon
Performers & Creative Collaborators:
Esme Benjamin as Wasi & Funny Adult
Rudzani Moleya as Joy & Funny Adult
Mayowa Ogunnaike as Gretel
Marc Stevenson as Hansel
Costume Supervisor: Cristiano Casimiro
Hair Supervisor: Françoise Herard
Costume Maker: Matthieu Nunes
Production Manager: Anthony ‘Oz’ Osborne
Co-Producers: Uchenna Dance and The Place
Marketing and PR Manager: Carol Ann Walters PR
Photographer: Foteini Christofilopoulou
Flyer Design: TM Studios
Ekua Ekumah as Wasi & Joy
Yung Pabi as Hansel
Effie Nkrumah as Gretel
Kwaku Boateng as Funny Adult
Voiceover Director: Kwaku Boateng
Musicians: Dela Botri, Robin Huws, Yung Pabi, Jo’ Wayne, Dede Akwetey, Ama Yeboah, Don Afero, Tyrone Isaac Stuart, Janet Kumah
Studio Engineers: Dikoder, Hubert Kofi Anti, Emmanuel Paa Kwesi Owusu
Soundtrack Production Assistant: Lavell Owusu
Soundtrack Production Admin: Jane Morgan
2018/19 TOUR DATES
Hansel & Gretel is touring throughout the UK in 2018 and 2019.
- BERNIE GRANT ARTS CENTRE (London) – Fri 23 – Sat 24 Nov 2018
- DANCEXCHANGE (Birmingham) – Fri 30 Nov – Sat 1 Dec 2018
- THE PLACE (London) – Sat 15 Dec – Mon 24 Dec 2018
- FOLKESTONE QUARTERHOUSE (Folkestone) – Fri 8 – Sat 9 Feb 2019
- CAMBRIDGE JUNCTION (Cambridge) – Sun 10 Feb 2019
- THE EGG (Bath) – Wed 20 – Sat 23 Feb 2019
- MARINA THEATRE (Lowestoft) – Tues 26 Feb
- STRIKE A LIGHT (Gloucester) – Fri 22 Mar 2019
- THE ALBANY (London) – Sun 28 Apr 2019
- SURF THE WAVE (Brighton) – Fri 17 May 2019
- THE LOWRY (Salford Quays) – Mon 21 – Tue 22 Oct 2019
- GULBENKIAN (Canterbury) – Sat 30 Nov 2019
- PAVILION DANCE SOUTH WEST (Bournemouth) – Fri 20-Sat 21 Dec 2019
Watch this space for more dates.
The show will also tour as part of the Rural Touring Dance Initiative:
- ABBEY HALL (Norfolk) – Sat 8 Dec 2018
- NEWHAMPTON ARTS CENTRE (Wolverhampton) – Fri 1 Feb 2019
- HULLAVINGTON VILLAGE HALL (Wiltshire) – Sat 2 Feb 2019
- DEVORAN VILLAGE HALL (Cornwall) – Sun 3 Feb 2019
- CORFE CASTLE VILLAGE HALL (Dorset) – Mon 18 Feb 2019
- BARTON, ASSEMBLY ROOMS (Barton-upon-Humber) – Thurs 28 Feb 2019
- GRANTLEY VILLAGE HALL (North Yorkshire) – Fri 1 Mar 2019
- PAILTON VILLAGE HALL (Warwickshire) – Sat 9 Mar 2019
- BROADBENT THEATRE (Lincolnshire) – Sun 10 Mar 2019
- NEUADD DYFI HALL (Aberdyfi) – Fri 15 Mar 2019
- ST JOSEPH’S PARISH HALL (Hoghton) – Sat 16 Mar 2019
- WHITBY HALL (Ellesmere Port) – Sun 17 Mar 2019
- AMMANFORD MINERS’ THEATRE (Ammanford ) – Sat 23 Mar 2019